In the process of not writing, I decided to clean up my media server. One of the drawbacks of switching from MythTV front end to Roku is that the Roku doesn’t have the flexibility that the MythTV had. I couldn’t use MPlayer which had everything in a single file. Instead, I had to break things out. One advantage is that the files are grouped together so the metadata is with the cover image is with the video files.
Now, I want my Roku to be as pretty as my MythTV. This means I want to get an image on the display and maybe some information about the movie. On the MythTV, I just had a screenshot of whatever was in the movie 20% into it. It was… okay, mainly because I didn’t have a good poster downloader. I also had poor metadata information (year, plot, etc) because the MythTV’s process always hung so I killed it.
I wanted more.