When I was visiting my dad, my cousin surprised us by showing up with his three girls. The eldest, six years old, and I started playing with blocks. I ended up trying to reconstruct the particle accelerator my dad worked on for a number of years before she convinced me to make a hospital instead. Somewhere around the efforts to duplicate I-94, I-90, I-355, and I-55 using wooden blocks, I made a mistake at the I-90/I-94 junction. I pointed it out (proudly as I'm wont to do).
"Adults don't make mistakes, my teacher said so."
I was immediately non-plussed with her teacher. Mistakes are a part of life, and with my style of life, I consider a mistake to be a far better learning experience than always succeeding. I pointed out that everyone makes mistakes, we just make different ones, but I don't think she was convinced that somehow an adult was less than perfect.
The learning process
I spent the last week or so working on Author Intrusion. I didn't want to and I was getting seriously frustrated (and despaired) about the entire thing, but I knew that if I kept plugging at it, I'd eventually get over the problem and into the fun stuff again.
"Just keep swimming." — Dori, Finding Nemo
As usual, my self-inflicted complications makes it harder to succeed. I want this to be cross-platform, so I have to pick libraries, tools, and methodologies that aren't as well traveled as if it I stuck with a purely Windows application. I also want it to work without a network connection because my cabin visits don't have Internet (and I hate programs that are "always connected.")
However, I got stuck with some of the decisions I made. So, I spent the last week relaxing some of the requirements (no Internet for now) and trying a different approach. The previous version (now) used node-webkit to gather everything up in a single package. It mostly worked, but I was doing a bit too much and hit a wall when I couldn't figure out how to get a reliable unit test working on the editor.
If it doesn't work, it's just another way that doesn't work and I'll learn from my mistakes.
Where I got in a weekend
Given the fact I tore almost everything down and started again, I'm pretty happy with where I am. I got the basic integration between CodeMirror and my code working. The persistence layer is abstracted out with one that uses HTML5 File API (which is hard to access) and a hook for using the Dropbox API (which I will implement after I get more done with the filesystem). Later, I'll get a node-webkit-specific version for the single-package implementation. It also leads into the long-term goal of having something hosted (and potentially income-producing) with just adding another persistence plugin.
It also means I don't have to figure out the install story for the release (something that bugged me) since I can just host it on a website. None of the code needs a server API since even the Dropbox API (which I learned from hacking TodoTxtJs) doesn't use a server API.
In the coming week
I'm switching over to writing for the next week (because I like these weekly sprints). I have a couple things I really want to get done:
- I'm submitting a chapter of Sand and Love on Sunday to the writing group.
- I also have a rejected submission that needs changes before sending it back out (per the editor's request)
- I have a story that I need to get out of my head
- There was two calls for submissions that specifically asked me that I want to enter
I'm also enjoying the fact that I have no major plans in the next few weeks (except for a board game night on Saturday).